What is safety edge and how does it contribute to a hangar door?
The primary purpose of a safety edge is to bring a moving hangar door to an immediate halt when it encounters an obstruction.
- Mounts vertically on the leading edge of each drive panel.
- When touched lightly, the safety edge will send an immediate signal to the door controls to stop and/ or reverse door operation.
- Safety edges shall be reset by moving doors away from the obstruction.
- Safety edges provide a minimum of 3 1/2 inches of overtravel after actuation until solid resistance is met and door motion comes to a complete stop.
- Each drive panel provided with a safety edge shall be protected by a spring type bumper(s). Bumper shall be designed to absorb 150 percent of the door drive force when pushed in.
- Wire safety edges to provide for control reliable 4-wire operation of hangar door so if power is lost to the safety edge, the door shall become inoperable until power is restored, and a reset operation is initiated.
- Install a large red indicator light and/or a loud siren, to be simultaneously activated with the actuation of any safety edge, to indicate the presence of an obstruction.
- Keyed bypass: Provide a keyed bypass to the door controls to render the safety edges in a temporary “repair” mode, if necessary. The door drive shall be restored from its “fail safe” mode by activation of the keyed bypass.
- Safety edge is installed in a series with the necessary relays and resistors to make the system complete. The lower portion of the safety edges to a height of approximately 5 feet shall be independently removable for convenience in servicing or repair. The remainder of the edge may be in one piece up to 20 feet.
- The safety edge is covered in durable vinyl jacket, and its flexibility allows it to conform to irregularities.
How to specify safety edge in your project
We’ve provided everything in a word document for you. Copy and paste this into your bid package.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Who is the manufacturer of this safety edge?
Miller Edge, Pennsylvania. Established in 1936.
Does this product meet the Buy American Act?
I’m an architect. What will hangar door manufacturers supply if I don’t include specifications for safety edge requirements?
Cheap slim line safety edge, designed for the sill of a rollup door. It can be strongly argued these types of sending edge do not belong on heavy rolling steel doors.
What is the advantage to the safety edge being installed in sections?
The first section is restricted to 5ft long because that’s the most likely to be damaged by a tug or golf cart. Replacing sections is much less expensive than replacing everything.
Can safety edge be installed and configured to work with an existing door?
This can only be answered on a case-by-case basis. Send AeroDoor a circuit diagram for your control panel and photos of the inside/outside. Failing this, AeroDoor can quote the supply and install of a new control panel.
How is safety edge secured to the hangar door?
There is a flap on each side of the safety edge. This flap is secured to the door frame using rust-resistant retainers and fasteners.
Why specify 4-wire safety edges and not pneumatic safety edges?
A 4-wire fail-safe electric sensing edge allows for the door system to monitor for its condition and correct operation. If a 4-wire sensing edge becomes disconnected or malfunctions, the door system can be set to not operate until the issue has been resolved, or a keyed bypass is utilized. Due to the nature of their construction, pneumatic sensing edges cannot be monitored by the door system in the same way; the door system will not be able to recognize a disconnection or fault with the sensing edge. This requires more regular maintenance checks to ensure proper operation.
Can I learn more about safety edges?
Paul has over 14-years of sales and marketing experience in the hangar door industry. Prior to this, Paul spent 8 years working in a sales division of Apple Inc, where skills in supply chain, selling and customer service were taught at a multinational level.