In this article we explain what sensing edges are and how they are used on hangar doors to provide protection if the door comes into contact with an obstacle.
What is a sensing edge / safety bumper?
The primary goal is to stop the movement of the hangar door before it comes in to contact with an aircraft, a tug, or something else. The sensing edge is a PVC coated bumper that goes on the leading and trailing edge leave(s) on a steel sliding hangar door. Inside the bumper is a contact switch that activates under slight pressure, this sends an electrical signal back to the motor and controls to stop and/or reverse the door.
Single run of yellow sensing edge on leading edge door panel
Sensing edge specifications:
- Colors; Gray, Yellow, Black, White, Yellow/Black striping.
- Sensitivity; 15 pounds force.
- Cover; Heavy duty reinforced.
- Mounting; Mounts to the leading and trailing edge door panels.
Care & Maintenance:
Minimum care is required for a sensing edge safety bumper, since they are manufactured with only the most durable materials and highest quality standards. However, it is strongly recommended that you observe good maintenance practices by including a check of the entire length of the sensing edges at least once per month for any signs of damage, cuts, loss of sensitivity or water damage. Also check all of the wiring and be sure all connections are secure. If you think there may be a damaged edge or component, do not attempt to adjust them, just contact AeroDoor.
Types of Sensing Edge:
There are 3 primary choices; 2-wire, 4-wire fail safe, or pneumatic.
Installation & Availability:
- Sensing edge should be applied to each leading and trailing edge door leaf.
- The lowest 5ft of the sensing edge should be manufactured to be removable for convenience in servicing or repair.
- We recommend that hangar door leaves 12″ thick or less should have a single run of sensing edge. For door leaves over 12″ thick we recommend a double run of sensing edge covering no less than 80% of the door leaf.
AeroDoor offer nationwide supply and installation of sensing edges on new or existing steel sliding hangar doors.